Image

welcome

Welcome to Bishop’s Waltham Educational Institute.
This local charity was founded in 1898 to serve the parishioners of Bishop's Waltham and surrounding villages. Today, the trustees issue grants twice each year to local good causes in the interests of social welfare and education. St Peter’s Church Bishop’s Waltham was included as a beneficiary when the charity was established and as such it still receives a regular income from the charity today, to be distributed locally.

history

The Educational Institute began with a building in the centre of
Bishop’s Waltham which was completed in 1904. At this time the trustees were mainly concerned with the distribution of parochial charity and a bathhouse was added later. However, over the years the building proved to be costly to maintain and increasingly difficult to let, especially in view of the competition from other public venues within the Parish. This led to frequent subsidies by the Parish Council, who eventually became the trustees, but even with this assistance it fell into disrepair and was ultimately judged to be no longer viable. It was not in use for several years and was eventually sold in 2003.
The main function of the charity today is to issue charitable grants within the local community.

Annual General Meeting

The trustees hold their Annual General Meeting in June every year. All are welcome to attend.
If you are interested in becoming a trustee, please read the application page of this website and contact the Clerk.


The following minutes are available in pdf format: pdf

Approved minutes of the Annual General Meeting of 3rd January 2013

Approved minutes of the Annual General Meeting of 1st July 2013

Approved minutes of the Annual General Meeting of 10th June 2014

Draft minutes of the Annual General Meeting of 8th June 2015